Protein Nut Balls

Having recently purchased a new food processor, I have been working on my Nut Ball recipe and I thought it was about time I shared it with you all - and used it as an excuse to get back into blogging! I realised the recipe was perfected when I left the house one day having made a batch of these a couple of days earlier, and around half were left. Whilst out with my friends I received a text from my boyfriend saying 'A raccoon got into the flat, opened the fridge and now all of the nut balls have gone'!!! Since then he asks me to make them every week, and I have to ration his intake!






These balls are packed full of protein, fibre and 'good fats' (including omega-3's) from the nuts, coconut oil and chia seeds; making them great for satiety (feeling full), not to mention delicious!
I rarely eat dates but they work really well to bind the mix, add natural sweetness and contain a wide range of essential vitamin and minerals. These are the perfect grab-and-go snack for any time of day, or a great energy booster for the 3pm office lull.




This recipe makes 16 delicious nut balls (or 8 servings)
- although you may see from the photo above that this time I ended up with 17!


What you will need:

  • 12 pitted dates
  • 200g of mixed nuts
  • 1-2 teaspoon(s) of chia seeds (optional)
  • 1-2 teaspoon(s) of cacao powder
  • 2 and a half tablespoons of coconut oil (measured solid, melted to use)
  • Desiccated coconut for rolling
  • A food processor

Method:
Don't forget to scrape down the sides as and when it is necessary to ensure everything is fully combined.
  • Place the dates into the food processor and blitz until they form a paste - around 20 seconds.
  • With the processor off, add the nuts. Blitz for around 30 seconds, or until they appear finely chopped. 
  • Add in the chia seeds if using.
  • Add in the cacao powder.
  • With the blade still running, pour in the melted coconut oil - this ensures even distribution.
  • Switch the processor off, scoop out a small handful at a time and compress the mix together into a small balls.
  • Roll in desiccated coconut and set aside in the fridge.

These are good to eat after setting for 20 minutes in the fridge... or right away if you can't resist.


Enjoy... 2 balls at a time!


Easy swap suggestions:
  • Swap the cacao for a cocoa powder, which offers a cheaper alternative. Ensure you choose a quality brand without lots of added sugar, look for cocoa for baking rather than a sugary hot chocolate drink. I recommend Bourneville.
  • Swap the cacao for dark chocolate, either grated or finely chopped. 2-3 squares of Lindt 85% would be my choice.
  • Use cacao nibs instead of cacao powder.
  • For you crazy people out there who don't like chocolate(??), try swapping the cacao powder for ground cinnamon!
  • If you aren't a fan of chia seeds, try flaxseed instead, just don't use too much as it will dry out the mixture.



Let me know in the comments below if you give these a go.




Peace & Love xo